We all have found ourselves forgetting to turn off our computer. A lot of us simply just walk away or close the laptop when we are done using it. By simply turning off our computers, or putting it into sleep mode we can become more energy efficient.
Here are some easy tips to help you reduce your computers energy consumption and save money on your electric bill:
1. Choose ENERGY STAR: Most computers and laptops nowadays are ENERGYSTAR labeled, which make them more energy efficient. The next time you are shopping around for a new computer/laptop, try to choose an ENERGYSTAR certified model since they use less wattage in sleep mode.
2. Turn Off the Monitor: If you’re going to be away from your computer for at least 20 minutes, turn off the monitor. It is as simple as a push of a button.
3. Shut down after 2 hours: If you know you are going to be away for more than 2 hours, then shut down the entire computer.
4. Avoid Screen Savers: Screen savers use more energy than not having one at all.
5. Power Management Feature: Using the power management feature in your computer effectively can help you save money. Make sure that you have the power-down feature set up on your PC through your operating system software.
6. Power Strip: By having your PC connected to a power strip or a surge protector, just switch it off when not in use.